The International Information and Networking Centre for Intangible Cultural Heritage in the Asia-Pacific Region under the auspices of UNESCO (ICHCAP) is organizing the 2016 Asia-Pacific ICH NGO Conference to be held from 3 to 5 November in Jeonju, Republic of Korea. This conference is the second ICH NGO Conference in the Asia-Pacific region, following to the first meeting held in 2014 under the theme of “Towards Efficient Roles of NGOs for Safeguarding ICH in the Asia-Pacific Region.” The theme of this year’s conference will be “Achieving SDGs through Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage.”
As the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals were adopted at the 70th UN General Assembly, they became the common goals that international community seeks to achieve together. UNESCO has also been trying to connect the culture and sustainable development, especially since the 2003 Convention emphasizes the importance of intangible cultural heritage as a guarantee of sustainable development.
The aims of the 2016 Asia-Pacific ICH NGO Conference are to better understand the relationship between intangible cultural heritage and sustainable development, to empower ICH NGOs in the region through sharing useful information on their activities, and to strengthen NGO networks in the region. Many ICH NGOs, based on their experience and specialties, conduct activities related to sustainable development, such as poverty alleviation, community empowerment, urban renewal, education, and so on. As NGOs are mediators bridging between governments and communities, it is important to share their activities and build a network for vitalizing their ICH safeguarding activities for the sustainable development of humanity.
ICHCAP is looking for ICH NGOs in the Asia-Pacific region who are willing to share their activities at this conference. The applications will be accepted from leaders and activists belong to an NGO in the field of ICH or culture in general, whose activities are in related to the conference topics outlined in the next section.
In the field of ICH and sustainable development:
- income generation, productive employment, and community empowerment through ICH
- ICH, creative industry, and sustainable tourism
- ICH and education: formal and non-formal education, transmission, raising public and youth awareness about ICH
- ICH and ethics: revitalize ICH while avoiding commercialization and de-contextualization
- academic research, documentation, and safeguarding of ICH
- other important topics related to ICH and sustainable development
- Selected participants will be provided accommodations, meals, local transportation, and field visits in Korea during the official program.
- The international flights to Korea and other expenses for traveling should be covered solely by the participants.
HOW TO APPLY
- Deadline for application: 5 September 2016, 18:00 KST
- Please send the following two documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Document 1: A completed Application Form (Please see attached form)
· Document 2: 2-3 page abstract that explains your NGO’s activities in relation to one of the above conference topics (in one PDF file)
Deadline for application submission 5 September 2016
Notification of application acceptance 12 September 2016
Presentation paper submission 14 October 2016
International Information and Networking Centre for Intangible Cultural Heritage in the Asia-Pacific Region under the auspices of UNESCO (ICHCAP)